What is Java?
Java is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language commonly used for a console application, GUI application, web application, mobile application, and game application development, etc. It is similar to C and C++ but is a lot easier than them. Java was developed by ‘Sun Microsystem’ with the lead of ‘James Gosling’ in 1991. Java was developed with the motto of “Write once, run anywhere” which means you don’t have to rewrite the code to run on a different machine.
Also read- What are the differences between Library and Framework
Initially, Java was named ‘Green Talk’ and was developed for developing digital device’s applications such as Television and setup box, and later it was renamed as ‘Oak’ but in 1995 it finally got renamed as ‘Java’ which we are familiar with.
-Features of Java
- It is an object-oriented programming language
- It is platform-independent means its code can be executed on any machine
- It is considered a most secured language than others
- It is a portable language as its source code are compiled into bytecode which then can be executed on any other computer
- It is a multi-threaded programming language, you can think of it as multitasking
-What is Java used for
- It is used to develop android apps, web apps, game applications, and enterprise software, etc.
- It is used in scientific computing applications
- It is used in Big data analytics
- It is used for programming hardware devices
- Also, it is used for server-side technologies like Apache, JBoss, GlassFish, etc.
Guess I made it complicated, didn’t I?
Also read- What are neural networks and how they work -without math for beginners
- It is a cross-platform language means it can run on all most all system with little or no modification
- It can be used for both client and server-side programming
- It is an object-based (note object-based and object-oriented are two different things) scripting language, it support polymorphism
- It can control the response on the website, which means it can control the response on the interaction like link,option-click, etc.
- It is also believed to be the most simple language (but before learning it you must know HTML and CSS)
- It can be used to create Dynamic single page application (SPAs)
- It can be used for Mobile app development with the help of Phonegap, React Native, etc.
- It can also be used for game application development.